Deputy General Secretary of the NDC, Otokunor has disclosed that Tuesday’s protest which was organised by the party will not be the last.
He said there will be series of protests aimed at pushing the government to deliver on its mandate to always do always convey justice to Ghanaian citizens.
”[March For Justice] demonstration is not an end in itself. It is a means to an end. Because we have made some demands on the government and we expect that they will deal with those demands with dispatch and urgency,” he told Joy News after the demonstration.
The NDC staged the street protest on Tuesday, July 6, 2021, to press home what it says ceaseless brutalities from security services against civilians.
The NDC statement clarified that, ”The protest is to demand justice for all persons killed and brutalised by state-sponsored thuggery and or adventurism by police and military forces.”
At the first stop yesterday’s protest, protesters stormed the Jubilee House to deliver a petition.
Below are the eight demands curbed in the petition to the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo:
- Immediately, implement recommendations of the Emile Short Commission of Inquiry Report forthwith. In particular, pay compensations to all victims and direct the Attorney General to prosecute all culprits.
- Beyond investigating all acts of violence perpetrated by officers of the security agencies under your watch, ensure that all victims get justice as required by law. Victims of acts of violence from Ejura, Ablekuma Central, Odododiodioo, Banda etc must all not be denied justice.
- Make provisions towards providing decent jobs for the teeming youth of the country through proper structural economic reforms and business support for enterprises of young people.
- Ensure the safety and security of all Ghanaians
- Stamp out corruption by prosecuting corrupt officials in your government other than shielding them. We ask that there is a fierce urgency to halt the hopeless nature of cronyism that has crept into the Government.
- Take steps to fulfil campaign promises to the good people of Ghana and be respectful and truthful to the citizenry.
- De-politicise the Security Service introducing reforms to give true meaning to its independence. We charge that these reforms be led by experts in our country and not partisan appointees.
- Instruct the Attorney General and the Minister of Justice to improve the justice system and Wean the Judiciary off partisan political influence.